UP NEXT MIXTAPE #2
available now for streaming and download
Up Next Recordings, James Lyng High School’s student-run record label, returns with a second collection of music written and recorded by James Lyng students, entitled “Up Next Mixtape #2”. The collection includes rap songs, instrumental hip hop and R&B tracks written and performed by students in W.O.R.D. (a hip hop literacy program at James Lyng), created in the school’s student-centered music classes, as well as performances of cover songs by James Lyng’s choir.
The mixtape is the second release from Up Next Recordings, a record label organized as a part of the school’s entrepreneurship class. With this second mixtape, Up Next Recordings hit its stride with a strong and consistent collection of music.
The songs on the mixtape were recorded at James Lyng’s own professional quality recording studio. In 2015, the school officially became an urban arts high school, incorporating hip hop, street art, street dance and music into many subject areas, as well as offering intensive small group and individualized instruction in the popular arts.
1. Honcho Party – Louie & Gucci (beat by Chris Romero)
2. Mirah Li – Unconditional (prod. by Butta Beats)
3. James Lyng Choir – Shoulda Let You Go (feat. Bioncé, Lauryn & Mariam, arr. by Mr. Gage)
4. Keshaun – M.J.
5. Young JP – Dance Hall (prod. by Butta Beats)
6. Honcho Party – It’s Right (beat by Young Taylor)
7. H.A.Z.E. – 1500 Bangerr
8. Demond – Super Hot (beat by Jahlil Beats)
9. Bander Beats – Talk to Bander
10. James Lyng Choir – Say My Name (feat. Bioncé & Lauryn, arr. by Mr. Gage)
11. JL Grade 9 Music Class – New Beginnings (arr. by Brennon)
12. Honcho Party – Count It Up
13. Malachi – Malachi Chords
14. Valium – Addiction (prod. by Butta & Lou Piensa)
15. JL Grade 7 Music Class – Trap Melodies (prod. by Manda & Alex Rand)
16. Young JP, H.A.Z.E. & Brennon – Blackberry (beat inspired by Kendrick Lamar's The Blacker the Berry)
17. Tianna – 90’s Tribute
Special thanks to Butta Beats, Lou Piensa, Alex Rand, Bronwen Low and the D.I.S.E. team at McGill, Michael Lipset, Mr. Cauchi, Deborah Friedmann, Melissa Proietti, Ms. Warner, Mr. J, Dr. Mad, Walla P, Jason Selman and all the James Lyng staff.